Do do pi do do ♪
My hair misbehaves so much during the summer. >.
This was ad-libbed by the voice actor, Craig Ferguson and they chose to keep it in because they loved it. Kids won’t get it but adults will be thinking “did he just imply what I think he implied?”
And later the director confirmed it.
DeBlois revealed that, the reason Gobber never got married, is because he is homosexual. This makes him the first homosexual character of the franchise, and even DreamWorks itself.
This is the worst representation I’ve ever seen when will we actually get queer characters without having to deduce it from like 0.3 seconds of screen time and a vague hint
the worst? are we forgetting..
Shout out to Paranorman for showing people how it’s done.
Shout out to Paranorman for making it a punchline to a running gag making fun of a teenage girl! But hey, at least it’s obvious. Yeah.
ALL of these are fucking AWFUL representation.
Dragons is so vague that it winks by in a blink.
Dumbledore was never confirmed in text.
And Paranorman was ONE line at the END of the film that’s more punchline than anything, and spending 99% of your movie deliberately having you audience thinking a character is straight for you can have a “hahaha! You never would have guessed! He was gay all along!” moment at the very end is NOT the representation and visibility that the LGBTQIAP+ community needs.
All of these are PATHETIC and we deserve better.
Not to mention that they’re still all cis white men
ok wait I’m going to break this down cause I always dicuss this…
- Yes you are correct, we deserve more/better queer representation in films.
- These are fucking stepping stones to the representation we want and deserve. Both Dreamworks and Disney have done small nudges towards queer representation which is a BIG DEAL for large companies like that where they have many stockholders/producers/PR departments/large holdings that make doing anything “non-conservitive” a large risk. These small steps show they WANT to represent queer people and are edging into it.
- Companies like Laika are much smaller and are able to ‘risk’ doing more direct pointed representation, partially because it gives them lots of PR from discussions/boycotts/outrages/etc whereas a company like disney or dreamworks would be damaged in a small way by the same attention.
- Guess how many queer people work in animation - the answer is a fucking lot.
- Its one thing to crit the representation in media but to completely shit on the small steps that are being made is shitting on the progress people are FIGHTING for. It is not perfect and it wont be perfect for a while, but these steps are just STEPS and no one is giving this to you saying “are you happy now you fucks?” what you are getting is directors and producers and animators getting excited that they are ABLE to start venturing into this in CHILDRENS FILMS
- its not perfect, but please remember progress is slow and needs support!
reblogging cause rifa’s commentary is great
UGGHH, thank you so much, sorry to add to this. Thank you for standing up for the industry and actually acknowledging that a shit ton of queer people work in the biz.
I’m a queer actor and model. Last year I starred in a Trevor Project film where my character wasn’t revealed to be queer until the very end!
MY DATE AND I FUCKIN’ WRECK NORTH HOLLYWOOOOOOOD!
Anyway, I get the presentation is a little bit different because most people know what the Trevor Project is all about, but honestly most comments I’ve seen online and gotten from family/friends are comments of genuine like… Like it being a non-issue revealed at the very end was pivotal to their views on the LBGTQ community.
This may have only been a short film/AT&T commercial, but I starred as a queer girl and I refuse to let that get shit on just because it was a reveal at the end!
I’m freaking proud of everyone involved in the production for being so devoted to making the reveal perfect and really showing people something important. And I’m proud of myself too because this was my first real acting job other than my usual gig as “random kawaii girl” in every other music video.
After 11 days in the incubator I finally got to go home!
Would anyone like chibi pony for $13 I can’t afford medical bills atm, even Idunno $5 sketches would help.